Best Wood For Cutting Boards Reviews (Buying Guide 2018)
Best wood for cutting board is an essential equipment of your kitchen after a sharp knife. It will make easy your food preparation, create a smaller amount mess, protect your countertops from scratches, and most importantly give you chance to cut or carve fruits, vegetable etc. perfectly.
Comparison table of top rated best wood for cutting
|Totally Bamboo Original Bamboo Cutting & Serving|
3 pieces of different cutting boards, Easy on knives edges don’t absolver liquids like, Less durable.
|John Boos Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board|
single chopping & slicing reversible maple-wood board, fit for light and heavy cutting works, heavy weight.
| John Boos R01 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board|
maple grain construction, reversible, handgrip included, lightweight, fit for cutting, slicing, kneading, heavy weight.
|John Boos RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board|
handgrips included, FDA approved, Reversible, good for cutting, slicing, mincing, kneading, cleaning, less durable.
|Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicureandishwasher safe heath resistant, handles opening system, less bacteria on the surface, smells for first few weeks.|
| Catskill Craftsmen Super Slab|
solid smooth oiled surface reversible, hand grips are included, don’t get stains of smell easily, board reeks.
|Teak Cutting Board|
FSC approved, rectangular edge grain, overpriced.
|John Boos Walnut Edge Grain Cutting Board with Feet|
end grain construction, 4 elevated bun feet, comfortable cutting, easy to cleaning, non-reversible.
| John Boos Cherry Wood End Grain Butcher Block Cutting Board|
3 pieces of different cutting boards, easy on knives edges don’t absolver liquids like, less durable.
|Thick Butcher Block by John Boss|
cutting block with 4 AB legs 10-inch thickness, suitable to cutting or chopping everything, pricey.
Many types of cutting boards are available in the market in different shapes, sizes, and prices. Some of them are easy to use or clean and required lower maintenance. And others are the total opposite. When you are going to shop for the best wood for a cutting board, choose the materials that go with your works most. Your cutting board should be hard enough so it can bear the thin and pore to damage edge of the kitchen knife. So, you need to select a quality cutting board for everyday cutting, chopping, slicing, etc. which can withstand all of these daily tortures.
Before starting the main discussion, let’s take a quick view of the best wood for cutting board that we are going to review today.
- 1 Reviews List of Best wood for cutting board
- 1.1 1. Totally Bamboo Original Bamboo Cutting & Serving Board Review
- 1.2 2. John Boos Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board Review
- 1.3 3. John Boos R01 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board Review
- 1.4 4. John Boos RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board Review
- 1.5 5. Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean Review
- 1.6 6. Catskill Craftsmen Super Slab with Finger Grooves Review
- 1.7 7. Teak Cutting Board Review
- 1.8 8. John Boos Walnut Edge Grain Cutting Board with Feet Review
- 1.9 9. John Boos Cherry Wood End Grain Butcher Block Cutting Board Review
- 1.10 10. Thick Butcher Block by John Boss Review
- 1.11 Buying Guide- all best type of cutting boards
- 1.12 FAQ:
- 1.13 Final Recommendation:
Reviews List of Best wood for cutting board
Here are those 10 selected best wood for cutting board for both home and commercial kitchen. Have a look below.
1. Totally Bamboo Original Bamboo Cutting & Serving Board Review
This best cutting board is made of bamboo and versatile to use. The Totally Bamboo Cutting Serving Board comes with three different sizes of cutting boards 6, 8, and 9-inch. These bamboo boards are very light but hard and suitable for cutting soft to hard any food items. Besides, Moso bamboos, they use for this particular board is 100% organic; comes from the forest and free from any pesticides, artificial irrigation or any chemicals. That’s why they are complying safely for cutting foods are serving them.
These boards are quite safe with the knife edges. They offer a firm surface to cut but damage its harshly as other cutting boards did. However, the boards are very simple to maintain. You just need water, soap, and sponge to clear extra, food liquids and pigmentation. After that let them dry into the air, or you can towel dry them. To extend the lifespan of bamboo cutting board oiling is mandatory. You can use any mineral oil to use as the board conditioner.
This board is not usable to in dishwasher or clean with any bleaching elements. That why it get stained over time.
Product features of Original Bamboo:
- Three different sizes cutting boards- 6 by 8, 8-1/2 by 11 and 9-1/2 by 13 inches.
- Made with entirely organic Moso Bamboo.
- Color- medium dark brown.
- Product Dimensions- 13 x 9.5 x 1 inches.
- Weight- 2.1 lbs.
- Three different cutting boards are easily usable for different cutting, chopping or serving foods.
- Easy on knife blades so don’t need to sharpen them often.
- Don’t absorb food liquids.
- Low price.
- Easy maintainable.
- Less durable.
- Some of them get stains over time.
2. John Boos Chop-N-Slice Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board Review
The best wood for cutting boards is considered the maple wood. And the John Boos Chop-N-Slice is also made of best quality maple woods. Its FDA approved and used by many professional chefs all over the united states. This top quality cutting board comes with end grain and edge grain construction.
This 20/15 size cutting board is suitable to work with any slicing, dicing, chopping, mincing and anything you like to do. It quite good with sharp knives so, your knives don’t be frequently worn.
In addition, this cutting board easy to use and maintain though. You can clean them generally with soap and water. They don’t stains or any odd smells after washing.
This maple cutting board is made from natural maple woods. But the board is a mix of color. Although each maple trees varies color variation and the wooden blocks are not formed the same tree, so, one board may get very blond to dark brown colors all together. Different color of wooden blocks is glued together. This glue is safe to use with edible. But in some cases, it made fade-out over time, and the board is starting to crakes. So, it’s better to clean and dry the board thoroughly and oiling it on a regular basis.
Product features for John Boos Chop-N-Slice:
- Made of solid reversible best cutting board wood- maple.
- Both surfaces are suitable for slicing, dicing, chopping, mincing.
- Measurement- 20x15x1.2 inches.
- Weight- 9 lbs.
- Color- mix brown (due to it contains different color of wooden blocks).
- Features beautiful edge grain construction.
- Suitable for light and heavy any cutting, chopping, etc.
- Easy to clean.
- Don’t damage knifes edges like other wooden boards.
- Some user complaints that over time the glues may starting fading off and crakes the pieces.
3. John Boos R01 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board Review
Here is another best cutting board from John Boss. This one is also got best wood for cutting board. The robust and reversible cream color maple wood with slightly rounded edges. It’s an 18 by 12 inches long cutting board with 1.5 inches thickness. The board also consist of hand grips on the end so you can move it one place to another very quickly.
This board is comfortable with cutting, chopping, mincing and all. Due to its large size, you can need dough sometimes as well. Besides, it soft with your knives. Means, it doesn’t dull their edge so quickly.
Due to its light color edge it many gets stains easily. But proper maintaining will save your form this kind of pigmentation. If the board has been wash regularly and towel dry well before oiling; then it will last for a long time without getting too many stains.
Product features of John Boos R01:
- Made of hard rock maple.
- Strong, hard and reversible best wood for cutting.
- Handgrips on the ends for easy transport from countertops to stoves.
- Rigid maple grain construction with a cream finish.
- Dimension- 18 x12 x1.5-inch.
- Weight- 4 lbs.
- Lightweight and easy to use.
- Large size makes easy to cut almost anything.
- Authentic color and structure.
- Suitable for kneading dough.
- The glue may start cracking after use of a year.
4. John Boos RA03 Maple Wood Edge Grain Reversible Cutting Board Review
If you are looking for a heavy duty best wood for cutting board than the John Boos RA03 Maple Wood will be a great option to have. This board is 2.25 inches thick and designed to handle all kind of chopping, cleaving, cutting, mincing and slicing. Its 24 inches long and 18 inches in width. That is why it’s perfect for use in both home and commercial place.
Like other John Boss best wood for cutting boards, it also has the beautiful edge grains structure. It looks gorgeous to display on the kitchen island and countertops.
The board is sturdy and withstand any pressure, cut and all. You can literally cut or braked bone on it without ruining its surface. But it doesn’t damage the point of the edge of knives like the other wooden boards. Also, it’s quite easy to clean the mess and remove smells.
Product features of John Boos RA03:
- FDA approved reversible, solid best wood for cutting board.
- Ample space for cutting- 24x18x2.2-inch.
- Features smooth cream finish hard maple constriction.
- Comes with handgrips on end for smooth shifting.
- Weight- 27.5 lbs.
- Perfect for cutting, chopping, mincing in a significant portion.
- Completely food safe and easy to use.
- Suitable for kneading the dough too.
- Easy to clean.
- heavyweight and makes shifting and serving bit difficult, but thanks to the hard grip to make these things little more manageable.
5. Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean Review
Here is one of the best wood for cutting boards affordable price from Prep Series. The Prep Series Cutting Boards by Epicurean is made from wood composite. All the naturally renewable or recycled materials are used to make these boars. That is why they can offer such those things that an ordinary wooden or bamboo boards cannot.
It comes with three different sizes of cutting boards measures 17/11, 14/9 and 10/7. These boards are great for making a sandwich, or cutting or slicing vegetables. Also, they are great for serving foods. These boars are lightweight and easy to use. They are consist of handles which makes more easier things like shifting them one place to another.
These best wood for a cutting board is suitable for dishwasher or use it in the oven. Yes, they are heat resistive. You can use them oven up to 350-degree F for cooking or warm-up any dish.
Although they are very rigid and safe for use. They don’t develop a grave amount of bacteria that other cutting boards do. But due to the composite material constriction, they have bit odd smell of formaldehyde, and it will bother your nose for first few days. Also, these boards are light so, sometimes they sleep way while cutting.
Product features of Prep Series:
- Comes with three pieces of best wood for cutting board.
- Heat resistant up o 350-degree F.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Handle opening system.
- Made in the USA.
- Boards dimension- 17 x 11 x 3.2, 14.5 x 9.5 x 3.2, and 10 x 7 x 3.2–Inch.
- Total weight- 3.4 lbs.
- Soft to all kind of knives.
- Consist handles for comfortable using, shifting, etc.
- Easy to clean including in dishwasher.
- Don’t harbor bacteria like other best wood for cutting boards does.
- Affordable price for three different sizes of cutting boards.
- Gives slight chemical smells at first few times.
- They slide a lot while chopping or cutting.
6. Catskill Craftsmen Super Slab with Finger Grooves Review
This best wood for cutting board is something that could make a statement in your kitchen. The Catskill Craftsmen Super Slab with Finger Grooves is something that any culinary masters should have. It’s enormous 20 by 20 inches with 3 inches thinness. Also, it’s heavy and very sturdy. It’s made of yellow birch hardwood blocks. Yellow birch is also good wood for cutting boards. Due to is many wooden blocks this cutting board goes a checkerboard type texture which looks different but unique on any kitchen counter.
This heavy chopping board is suitable for every cutting, slicing, and mincing. You can cut large briskets too on it. And the more important thing it doesn’t move or slides as the other cutting boards do.
The board has got smooth finish overall but has light roughness on the edges. Also, it smells odd for the first couple of weeks. So, it’s better to wash it dumb cloth and coat it with mineral oil. As much the mineral oil soaks in the surface, the board will prepare better for cutting. You can try this way for few times a day before using it for very first time. After that maintain the oiling and soaking it for a few weeks later you can shift the oiling schedule from every day to once in 3/4 weeks.
Product features of Catskill Craftsmen Super Slab:
- Hard, sleek and reversible best wood for cutting.
- End grain with the smooth oiled finish.
- Consist of finger slots for easy and simple handling.
- Dimension- 20x20x3-inch.
- Weight- 24 lbs.
- Made in the USA.
- Very durable cutting board.
- Thick and sturdy doesn’t slipway while working.
- Suitable for any cutting chopping, slicing and more.
- Don’t get stains even clean with chemical or bleaching elements.
- The area near edges is not smooth like the middles area.
- The board reeks a little bit.
7. Teak Cutting Board Review
Here is another best wood for cutting board form Teakhaus. The Teak Cutting Board made for professional grade culinary cutting, chopping and slicing. This board is large of our previous best wood for cutting boards. Its 24 inches large, 18 inches wide and 1.5 inches thick. Its large surface great for cutting food item very quickly. Also, its sturdy enough don’t move here and there while working. You will comfortably chopped ribs or cut/curve pumpkin on its more.
This edge grain board has hand grips for easier moving and clean. Cleaning by hand with some soapy water is effortless. Also, applying mineral oil occasionally will make it more workable and increase the lifespan. So, you can try this method to take care of the best wood for cutting board.
Overall, it’s a beautiful and practical addition to your kitchen, due to its quality and size the board is bit pricey. But we can say that the investment will not go to regret you at all. So, if you have a large family and need a wide size of the copping board than you defiantly get this one for sure.
Product features of Teak Cutting Board:
- Very hard and robust rectangular edge grain chopping boars.
- Approved from FSC.
- Dimensions: 24 x 18 x 1.5 in.
- Weight- 14 lbs.
- Heavy and sturdy, don’t moves while cutting.
- If maintained properly it will stay well for a long time.
- Roomy surface great for cut or slice literally everything.
- Comes with handgrips for smooth shifting.
- There are some knot holes on the board.
8. John Boos Walnut Edge Grain Cutting Board with Feet Review
Here is another best wood for cutting board form John Boss. This board comes with two option, maple and walnut wood. The maple wood is a lighter brown, and the walnut is more dark brown like chocolate.
The board comes with four ban shaped legs made of same wood. This legs give a balance and comfortably for using. It lifts the cutting board, so you work with more closer appearances.
It’s a 12-inch square size boards which are suitable for general slicing and dicing or making a sandwich. It is not appropriate to cut significant or substantial portion of food, meat, fish like those large and width boards.
The board is not reversible so you can use one side of it only. Also, some user complaints that they may start creaking due to glue failure of the blocks and start squeaking after one year of usage.
Product features of ohn Boos Walnut Edge:
- End grain construction.
- Features four elevated bun feet.
- Comes with two different color/wood- maple and walnut.
- Measurements- 12 x 12x 1.5- inch.
- Weight- 5 pounds.
- The bun feet make the cutting more comfortable.
- Nice smooth surface for cutting fruits, vegetables, etc. so quickly.
- Very sturdy.
- Easy to clean.
- Not reversible.
- Less durable.
9. John Boos Cherry Wood End Grain Butcher Block Cutting Board Review
This best wood for a cutting board is literally a perfect example of cutting board craftsmanship. The John Boos Cherry Wood End Grain Butcher Block is a quality chopping board that can serve your kitchen for a very long time. This cherry wood end grain cutting block is a bit pricey than other butcher blocs. Cherry woods are already expensive though buts also the best type of wood for cutting boards. However, this board is quite heavy so you can move or shift it quickly like the other boards. But it suitable for your every day, chopping, dicing or slicing small to large any size of the food item.
The surface of the board quite well with your knives. It will not damage like any ordinary type of chopping board. Also, the cover is very smooth and easy to clean to clean.
Product features of John Boos Cherry Wood :
- Made of cherry woods.
- Super end grain construction.
- Made in USA.
- measurements- 14 x 14x 3 inches.
- Not reversible.
- Weight- 12.5 pounds
- Beautiful checkerboard texture with soft maple color.
- Smooth surface for cutting everything.
- Kinder to the knives Sharpe edges.
- Aged wonderfully if maintained carefully.
- Heavyweight, gives trouble to move.
- High price.
10. Thick Butcher Block by John Boss Review
This best wood for a cutting board is different from our any other reviewed chopping boards. The Thick Butcher Block from John boss is one of the quality butcher board for a huge family or everyday cutting jobs. It’s a 30-inch square block with 10-inch thickness and four AB legs. This gourmet-style cutting block is suitable for two or three people to work together.
You can work on it almost anything. Like kneading the dough, cutting or chopping ribs, fish, chicken, and other food items. Even with heavyweights, it’s quite easy to shift by sliding. In bear floors its slides easily though. The maintenance of the board is effortless like your usual chopping boards. Maintained or not-maintained, this butcher black will stay in your kitchen like forever, with same appeal and workability.
Product features for Thick Butcher Block:
- Made of rock hard maple with end grain.
- Length 30 inches, width 30 inches.
- The thickness of the bock is 10 inch.
- Cream finish block with beeswax on cutting surface.
- AB leg standard.
- Weight 210 pounds.
- The block slides easily on bare floors.
- Long durable.
- Very expensive.
- Not big enough for more than three people cutting vegetables or anything.
Buying Guide- all best type of cutting boards
What materials are best to use for particular jobs of cutting is not so complicated. To explain it we prepared an argumentative discussion of the common cutting board wood types. It will help you to understand all best type of cutting boards and how to select them.
So, let’s get started.
Bamboo cutting boards
Bamboo cutting boards are the top choice of many environmentalists. First of all, this hard grass is using for as cooking pots from ancient times. It grows without using any chemicals, fertilizer, and easily disposable. They absorb less liquid then wood by 19% harder than traditional wooden cutting boards.
You will enjoy cutting bars, or chopping fruits, vegetable on it. Just make sure your bamboo cutting board is free from formaldehyde-free glues. If so, there is the possibility of chemical reactions.
Another important thing about the bamboo cutting board is, due to their harder characteristics they will harden on your knife too.
Wooden cutting boards
Wooden boards are in some cases gentle to knives. It’s not harder like bamboo, so your knives will stay sharper for a long time. Moreover, they are easy to renew then get older. Most of the wooden boards are made of wastes woods that thrown ways form mills. Maple, walnut, beech, etc. are the best wood for making a cutting board. They are very durable and self-healing. Even after years of usage, they don’t get much scars like the plastic of other cutting boards do.
The wooden board is suitable for cutting vegetables to fish, meat and all. Wash them normally in the dishwasher or manually with sponge and soupy-water to remove dirt and smells. Oil your wooden board regularly to keep it workable for a long time. A well-maintained cutting board will last for many years.
Plastic cutting boards
The plastic board considers most easy to uses and sanitary cutting board materials in present time. Also, they are light, easy to clean in both dishwasher or sink. But recent studies show that plastic board is not so safe that they seem to be. They grow more bacteria than regular bamboo and wooden board. Also, the knife-scarred synthetic surface is highly infected with bacteria and almost impossible to clean manually. So, you need a dishwasher to rinse them thoroughly.
Plastic boards are good with sticky, smell and colored foods. You will get advantages while cutting garlic, onions, beetroot, turmeric, etc. They don’t get smelly when coming into contact with these food items. Wooden or bamboo boards are get pigmented in these cases. So, at that point, these boards are a time saver on cleaning.
Glass Cutting boards
When it comes to hygiene, there is no compression of glass cutting boards. The surface of glass boards are extra rigid that can’t be cut with your knives. Also, even the sharper knives can’t leave the scratch on it like they could with other cutting boards. Even, the food, liquid or pigmentation can’t ruin the surface easily or develop bacteria like others. Besides, they are easy to clean manually or your dishwasher.
Glass cutting boards are not friendly with knives. Even the high-quality sharp knives are worn quickly. So, if you use glass boards, then you need to shape it more often. That might shorten their life as well. Many people don’t enjoy cutting on glass boards like the wooden, or plastic boards. Maybe that is why people don’t use them a lot in the house. However, glass boards are perfect for serving or eating off.
Whatever the material it is, you just need to take care of some important factors like- the materials of the best wood cutting board should fewer bacteria developer, or don’t get stains, or smells easy.
Q- What’s best for oiling a cutting board?
A- Coconut and walnut oils are great, but you can use other mineral oil or cutting board oil from any particular brand.
Q- How much thickens need to chopping ribs on cutting board?
A- 3-inch or more.
Q- How frequently a board should soak into oil?
A- For first few weeks oil the board everyday 2/3 times. After that once in 3/4 weeks.
Q- How long they will last?
A- An average quality board should last a year or more, the top quality board should last 3/4 years or more if maintained properly.
Q- Are Butcher-block’s legs detachable?
Most of the people like wooden cutting boards for long term usages. Some prefer glass or granites. Many experts give opinions about wood and plastic boards are best to consider. Whatever you like to want you can but its best to choose a cutting board according to your usual needs; not considering the brand’s gimmick or other’s tale. However, you can use the ideas given here to make your local or online buying for cutting boards resourceful. Our buying guide and review of best wood for cutting boards are made according to the points and opinion of real users. All of them are highly performative and perfect to any home and commercial kitchen.